Thank you to everyone who took part in our festive quiz — we hope you enjoyed the challenge and maybe learned a little more about Shadwell’s international success along the way.
The winner of the Shadwell goodie bag, who answered the most questions correctly, was Dawn Bacchus. Congratulations, Dawn and well done!
See how you fared in the quiz with the answers printed below, and keep checking back on the Shadwell website for updates on the stallions and racing operation throughout 2021 and beyond.
Round one: the Nunnery Stud stallions
1. What is the name of Mohaather’s Grade 2-winning full-sister, whose first foal sold for 2,800,000gns at the yearling sales in 2020?
b) Prize Exhibit
2. Which Group 1-winning sprinter did Eqtidaar beat into second when he won the Commonwealth Cup at Royal Ascot?
d) Sands Of Mali
3. What was the winning distance over runner-up Magical Memory when Tasleet landed the Group 2 Duke of York Stakes?
d) two and a half lengths
4. What was the name of Muhaarar’s son who carried His Highness Sheikh Hamdan’s silks to win the Horris Hill Stakes for Charlie Hills in October?
5. Nayef was the broodmare sire of which of these star performers in the 2020 European Flat season?
c) Palace Pier
Round two: Shadwell’s sensational 2020
6. HH Sheikh Hamdan was crowned leading owner at Royal Ascot. How many winners was he represented by at this year’s meeting?
7. Which one of HH Sheikh Hamdan’s Royal Ascot winners in 2020 went on to land a Group 1 race at the Newmarket July meeting?
8. Which filly carried HH Sheikh Hamdan’s colours to a stunning five-length victory in the Group 1 Prix Saint-Alary in June?
9. Mohaather beat which multiple Group 1 winner into second when he landed the Sussex Stakes at Glorious Goodwood?
a) Circus Maximus
10. Elarqam notched his fifth stakes victory when successful in the Dubai Duty Free Legacy Cup at Newbury in September. Who is his famous dam?
Round three: Shadwell stars of the past
11. HH Sheikh Hamdan’s Irish 1,000 Guineas and Coronation Stakes winner Al Bahathri was the dam of which of the owner’s other Classic scorers?
12. Which future winner of the Juddmonte International finished second to HH Sheikh Hamdan’s brilliant colt Nashwan in the Derby at odds of 500-1?
13. Triple Classic heroine Salsabil was a half-sister to which Derby runner-up and St James’s Palace Stakes winner also owned by HH Sheikh Hamdan?
14. By how many lengths did the wonderful Dayjur win the Nunthorpe Stakes in 1990, deemed one of the best sprinting performances of all time?
c) four lengths
15. Which subsequent important National Hunt sire finished second to Erhaab in the Derby at Epsom in 1994?
a) King’s Theatre
Round four: Shadwell success around the world
16. In which country was Invasor, who carried HH Sheikh Hamdan’s silks to victory in the Breeders’ Cup Classic and Dubai World Cup, bred?
17. HH Sheikh Hamdan has owned two winners of the Melbourne Cup. At Talaq was the first in 1986; who was the second?
18. What was the name of HH Sheikh Hamdan’s Belmont Stakes winner, who won the third leg of the US Triple Crown one year before his half-sister did the same?
19. Tawqeet, who finished third in the St Leger in Britain, went on to win which prestigious Group 1 race in Australia for HH Sheikh Hamdan?
a) Caulfield Cup
20. Which horse owned by HH Sheikh Hamdan was sent out by Mike De Kock to win two Group 1s at Turffontein in South Africa in June 2020?